Nail Your Next
Creative Job Interview
Have a job interview coming up? Be prepared. Nail everything from the first impression to the final question with these five interview tips:
1. Do Your Homework. Research beyond-the-basics information about the position and company by searching the company name for relevant news and asking people in your network if they have insight about the organization. As relevant interview questions come up, strategically share your newfound knowledge.
2. Be Aware Of Your Body Language. Subtle cues, such as facial expressions and posture, will affect how others perceive you. Make sure you’re coming across as confident and capable by smiling genuinely, making eye contact and offering a firm handshake.
3. Tell Stories. Share anecdotes that provide specific examples of how you’ve helped solve business problems. Describe the challenge, talk about your process and actions, and outline the final results.
4. Ask Thoughtful Questions. This is not the time to inquire about salary. Rather, follow the interview questions with thoughtful questions of your own. For example, ask the hiring manager to describe an aspect of the job that might surprise you.
5. Be Yourself. The key to making a strong first impression is to simply show the real you. Avoid rehearsed responses and fluffy jargon. Instead interact in a way that’s honest and genuine.
For more career advice, visit the TCG Blog. The Creative Group specializes in placing a range of highly skilled interactive, design and marketing professionals with a variety of firms. For more information, please visit creativegroup.com